A message to all Ugandans,
Barclays Africa is committed to Uganda. Barclays Bank Uganda is here to stay.
In 2013, we fulfilled our ambition to build a leading African bank when we brought together 12 banks across the continent and formed Barclays Africa. We put the future of this organisation firmly in our own hands. There are five things I would like you to know about the Barclays Africa that we built:
1. We employ 42,000 people whom I am immensely proud to call my colleagues and friends.
2. We have over 12 million customers who trust us with their money in 12 countries across the continent.
3. We have significant reach in Africa with 1,251 branches and 10,378 ATMs.
4. We are a leading bank in all of the 12 markets in which we operate.
5. We are independently listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange and have a strong balance sheet of over $66 billion and are well capitalised.
Today Barclays PLC announced their intention to sell down their 62.3% stake in Barclays Africa over the coming two to three years. This announcement will not affect you, our customers, in any way and we at Barclays Bank Uganda will continue to serve you as we have done for over 150 years.
Our future as Barclays Africa is very bright and our ambition to be Africa’s leading bank remains unchanged. We are deeply committed to the communities in which we live and work and today, when we announced our financial results, I also said we will invest $93 million in education and skills development across Africa over the next three years. That commitment extends to the way we serve our customers. Nothing in today’s announcements will make us deviate or change our course. We are neither exiting our operations in Uganda, nor the rest of our African markets.
Our destiny is Africa and our business is one of shared prosperity. We look forward to building a future and helping you, Uganda and Africa, Prosper.
CEO, Barclays Africa Group Ltd.